I don't have a choice, but I'd still choose you

Marriage, as sung by The Civil Wars, is filled with poison and wine. You get married for the wine, but have to deal with poison sometimes. From yourself, and from your beloved spouse. Or maybe you go through stages of wine, and stages of poison. Stages of bliss and indulgence in each other, and stages of self indulgence and neglection of each other.

Such is the rhythm of two people promised to be in love forever. Two people who have chosen to deal with the curveballs of life together, even when those curveballs are someone's fault, or come at a horrible time. You don't have a choice, you still have to choose to walk through life, or trudge through it, with the person you remember loving, even if you don't know how to love them in that day, or the next.

This is obviously being written in a hard time...In a time where we are trudging through, but the fact that it is being written is positive.

The fact that choices are present is a good thing. I have fought with choices each day; choices to be selfish, choices to look after myself, choices to retaliate, choices to let go, choices to forget the person I want to be, choices to be faithful to the life I've chosen - or to be angry at it.

I am not alone in these choices, which is mostly the reason I am baring it all on here. We are growing more and more fearful of sharing the sad things in life, because we have too often shared only the good. Tweeted and shared only the attractive photos, only the exciting times, only the high moments and date nights. The saddest thing is to feel alone. Maybe you have hit this spot in a marriage, or in life, maybe you haven't. But you will, and it is not something to be scared of when you hit it. You have choices, and you have to decide to make good ones, ones that will have a positive, lasting affect on your life and the lives  you have chosen to love, the ones you have made to love.

"I don't have a choice" - That is the frustrating part.
"but I'd still choose you" - That is what I must remember to make this marriage successful. 

Civil Wars - Poison and Wine


Comments

  1. everything happens for a reason :) keep up the good work. you'll have your time soon and it'll be amazing. just keep loving :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment